Sign Up   |  
Log In
Log In
  |   Contact Us

Washington Marriage License Info

Home   |   Local Services   |   Reception Sites   |   Specials & Deals   |   Community   |   Marriage License   |   Wedding Blog   |   Link To Us   |   About Us
If you and your partner are planning on having your wedding in the state of Washington, you will need to take care of some legal matters beforehand. Put it off for too long and you will end up putting off your wedding to another date. To get a Washington marriage license, you can go to any of the clerk offices located in the county you plan to have your wedding ceremony. You can find these clerk offices sometimes in the county probate court or circuit court.

There us a one time fee of $52 for the Washington marriage license, but this rate can vary from county to county; only cash payments are accepted. It is not required of you and your partner to be current or previous residents of Washington to get a marriage license that is valid through out the state. After paying the one time fee for the marriage license, you will have to wait a mandatory three days before you can receive it. The day you apply for the Washington marriage license doesn’t count towards the three days (usually). Most states don’t count Saturdays, Sundays and holidays as a part of the three day count down.

Once you have completed the three day waiting period, you will receive your Washington marriage license and will be allowed to get married right away, being that there is no waiting period for marriage. It is required that you and your partner be 18 years or older to become married without parental consent being needed. Bring a birth certificate with you to prove you are of legal age (just incase). If you or your partner is not 18 years or older, you will need to have parents or legal guardians present. If there are circumstances keeping a parent or guardian from coming (due to divorce, separation, death), you will need to provide proper verification of why. You will still need to bring a certified copy of your birth certificate as well. If under the age of 16, you will need an order from the court to get married.

No blood tests or physical exams are required of you and your partner to get a Washington marriage license. Once you receive the marriage license, it will expire 60 days after the issue date. If you or your partner was previously married, but the spouse is deceased or has been divorced, a copy of the divorce decree or death certificate will be needed for proof.

The process of changing last names will take place after the wedding ceremony when you receive your marriage certificate. This will be proof of your legal Washington marriage and will need to be presented to government agencies (such as motor vehicles and social security), so that they can be notified of your name change. Non government entities will also need to be notified, such as banks, credit card agencies, employers, memberships and others you have done business with.

You can begin the process of changing last names with the legal name change kit. This can be completed before or after the wedding ceremony, but is recommended you do so before the marriage to better convenience you.

Marriages that are not allowed are cousin marriages, same sex marriages, common law marriages and marriages by proxy.
Advertise | Business Login | Local Services | Specials & Deals | Community | Marriage License | Wedding Blog | Link To Us | About Us